The Wine Connection: Saving the Best to Last

(January 16, 2007)

Jesus performed his first miracle at the wedding in Cana: Changing water to wine. There was a lot to ponder in that text. The miracle itself speaks to God’s abundance (Jesus filled the pots to overflowing), and the transforming power available to our lives. Add to that the joy of the wedding ceremony and you have enough points for a good sermon.

Jesus apparently was a great winemaker. The thing that I have overlooked is The WINE Connection between Jesus’ first miracle at Cana (water to WINE) and his last act of ministry: breaking bread and sharing WINE with his disciples as his broken body and atoning blood.

When I was growing up, we called it The Lord’s Supper. There is nothing wrong with that. But today, I call it “Holy Communion”, for in observance of Christ’s suffering and death at the Lord’s Table, we “commune” with him; looking past his sacrifice for our sins to his glorious triumph over sin and death!

Notice the progression:
  1. The Water symbolizes Life; often ordinary and without power.
  2. The Wine symbolizes the Abundant Life, that powerful life Jesus wants each of his children to enjoy. (Jesus, who changed the water to wine, can transform your life!)
  3. The Blood symbolizes Eternal Life; an eternity in Communion with our Lord.
As Author Unknown (my favorite sage) said, “God pours death into life and life into death without spilling a drop.”

The host of the feast, upon tasting the transformed wine, said Jesus had “saved the best to the last”. I suspect that is the way he still works. For those who allow Jesus to change our lives from the ordinary to the eternal, the best is yet to be.

From the Quote Garden
“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."
~ Erma Bombeck

No comments: