An Open Letter to The Yazoo Herald

August 9, 2004

Dear Editor:

As a native of Yazoo City, whose body may have moved to San Diego, but whose heart and mind have never been far away from Graball Hill, I enjoy keeping up with my hometown through The Herald On-line. Recent articles and letters regarding the Yazoo City public school system have triggered some memories of my educational experience.

My mother and father moved to Yazoo City in the 1940s because they wanted their children to get the best education available. I attended Annie Ellis and Main Street Elementary Schools, Yazoo Jr. High and Yazoo City High School, where I graduated in the Class of 1966. I know things are different now, but I just wanted to say “thank you” to the public schools of Yazoo City for offering me a world class education. I’m sure hundreds of my classmates can say the same.

I did not appreciate it then, but mine were some of the finest teachers in America. I confess I was guilty of calling my teachers “The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse” (Famine, Pestilence, War and Death) because I thought they were so mean. They expected us to work, learn, and become productive citizens. It was not until I left Yazoo City that I realized the value of the excellent education Yazoo City schools provided me. It enabled me to get a higher education, and eventually teach at San Diego State University.

H. G. Wells said, “Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe.” From my perspective, those are the only two options. Either we get involved to make our schools excellent, or we prepare for catastrophe. Along with constructive criticism, let’s offer solutions and involvement to make education excellent again. Who knows, Haley Barbour may not be the last governor Yazoo City schools produce.

Dr. William Jenkins
San Diego, CA

No comments: