The Real Heroes

July 6, 2004

I hope you all had a wonderful Fourth of July. I was moved by CBS’s Sunday Morning’s commentary (I highly recommend the program) as Anita and I got ready for church. The commentator said the real heroes in America are not the movie and sports stars who make millions of dollars per performance, but are the men and women in uniform who are defending our freedoms around the world. I could not agree more! Whether we agree with the war in Iraq and Afghanistan or not, we should all agree that America’s heroes are the fine young service men and women who are willing to sacrifice their lives for our freedoms.

Nothing illustrates how our priorities are out of order than this: We eagerly read the tabloids about a latest Hollywood gossip, or spend countless hours following our favorite sports team (I’m guilty), but cannot take time to offer a simple prayer for the safety and well being of our troops, many of whom have families stateside living near poverty. I am unashamed to be patriotic. I love America. I know God has blessed this great nation, and given us an enormous responsibility that accompanies our great privilege. Those who defend our freedoms, and fight for the freedoms of oppressed people in other nations, deserve our deepest appreciation and devotion.

This Sunday, we will revisit the familiar story of the Good Samaritan. The instinct to “pass by on the other side of the road” is compelling, especially in dangerous times. What should Christians do? Join us for some new insights into an old dilemma.

This Sunday, we will begin a new “Second Sunday” tradition. I will ask a different person each month to share his or her personal testimony in our worship service. In this way, we will get to know each other better, and realize we all wrestle many of the same issues in our spiritual lives. I am grateful that Art Slatten has agreed to be the first to share his spiritual journey. Support Art with your prayers and presence this Sunday at 10:55 AM.

No comments: