ThanksGiving

November 23, 2004

Thanksgiving is not an official day on the Christian liturgical calendar, but it should be. Of course, Thanksgiving as we know it is a relatively new (American) celebration, and is a day filled with wonderful traditions.

It is right and good that we should set aside a day of thanks-giving to Almighty God, Our Father, for all the blessings we enjoy. I am reminded that the Pilgrims, whose tradition we celebrate, suffered many toils, trials, and ordeals. They had more graves than homes; yet they paused to thank God for his divine and good Providence.

It would be easy to evoke pangs of guilt, for none of us say “thank you” to either God, family or friends as much as we should. I want to take the other approach, and offer encouragement for us to make this Thanksgiving a genuine expression of gratitude.

Henry Ward Beecher said it well, “The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!”

I want to thank God for Anita, Chris, Deanna, Tak, Kat, and Scot, and all my family back in Mississippi. I thank God for home and health and work. I also want to thank God for catfish, Orioles, flowers, the sun, the rain, Mississippi State sports (that taught me true humility), and yes, even the kudzu. I want to thank God for giving me a mustard seed of faith, and His Church. Most of all, I want to thank God for His Unspeakable Gift, his Only Son, Jesus Christ, my Savior; the Author and Finisher of my faith.

Last, but certainly not least, I THANK GOD FOR YOU!

No comments: