Reasonable Science and Faith

February 11, 2008

It is most unfortunate that science and faith have often placed themselves in opposition to each other. The church looks ridiculous in retrospect because it denied the earth was round. But scientists are just as arrogant when they assert there is no God. For the average person, there does not need to be a one-or-the-other choice.

Those of you who know me know that I readily embrace science and technology. You also know that I have a deep and abiding faith. I have found nothing in science that contradicts my faith, and visa versa; I have found nothing in my faith that defies science. To the spiritually attuned seeker, they are telling the same story.

God reveals Himself in many ways, including nature, history, the Bible, the church and her traditions, and ultimately in Jesus Christ. If we worship nature, history, the church and traditions, or even the Bible itself, we are “aiming too low!” All these may help us to see a loving divine God; but only God (through Jesus Christ) is worthy of our worship and deepest devotion.

John Wesley was one of the greatest figures of the Age of Enlightenment. He said that theological conclusions should be based upon four sources:

· Scripture - the Holy Bible (Old and New Testaments)
· Tradition - the two millennia history of the Christian Church
· Reason - rational thinking and sensible interpretation
· Experience - a Christian's personal and communal journey in Christ

Albert Outler coined this as the “Wesleyan Quadrilateral”. Note that Wesley included REASON and personal EXPERIENCE in the recipe.

Someone asked me recently, “If science finds INTELLIGENT life on another planet, will that destroy your faith?” Noting that nowhere in scripture, tradition, reason or experience do I see a claim that life MUST only exist on earth, I replied, “I am more interested in finding INTELLIGENT life on EARTH; especially when it comes to scientists and theologians!”

From the Quote Garden
“Do no harm. Do good of every possible sort, and, as far as possible, to all. Attend upon all the ordinances of God.”
~ John Wesley “General Rules for the United Societies” 1743

No comments: