Hacienda Sunday

August 16, 2004

Sunday, we celebrated Jewel Oswald’s 90th birthday. Many people who read this may not know Jewel. Before you imagine a person who is barely able to get around, let me tell you, Jewel is NO stereotypic nonagenarian. She is one of the most active members of Christ Church; supplying our sanctuary with beautiful flowers from the garden she tends each day, singing in the choir, is perhaps the most consistent attendee of the Builders Sunday School class, and serves as Chair of our Administrative Council. She gets around better than I do! Jewel is a beautiful person, inside and out. I’ve never heard her say an unkind word. She has become our spiritual matriarch, and an example we all should emulate.

Almost every member of the church made our way to the beautiful home of Jewel’s daughter, Julie, immediately following worship yesterday. John and Julie Gibson treated us to an unforgettable Sunday afternoon in the Old California tradition. Their home is a true hacienda, reminiscent of the Ponderosa on TV’s Bonanza series, only better. I failed to make it to the top of the mountain to Gibson’s Highlands Ranch when Jewel’s late husband Cecil celebrated his 90th birthday. Being a flatlander fresh from Mississippi, I allowed my fears to keep me from climbing to the top of the mountain. I didn’t think God intended human beings to be at a 45 degree angle for so long. Now, I’m so acclimated to California mountains, one leg has grown shorter than the other so I can more easily walk around the steepest mountain in San Diego’s east county. This time, with a little extra push, I made it to the top, and what a reward awaited us all! (There’s a lesson in there somewhere. Call me “the little engine that could.”)

With Jewel’s encouragement, and another extra push, I sang a solo, “Sweet Beulah Land”, Jewel’s favorite. The dogs in the neighborhood didn’t appreciate my singing, but I would do anything Jewel asked of me. Beside, anyone signing to Jim Thompson’s’ accompaniment will sound good! Thank you, Jewel, John and Julie, Cecil Jr. and Sydney, for a truly remarkable and enjoyable afternoon. And thank you Jewel, for your genuine Christian character and years of service to our Lord and His Church. We are looking forward to you leading us up Gibson’s Mountain for your 100th!

No comments: