Call Your Father

May 4, 2004

Revelation teaches us that the prayers of the believers ascend to the Heavenly Father in what appeared to John to be incense or smoke. What a powerful reminder that our prayers are not idle chatter. God reverences our prayers. No prayer goes unheard. This comforting vision reminds me that our Father is much more eager to hear our prayers than we are to offer them. Think about it. If you truly love someone, don’t you delight to hear from them in a letter or phone call (or an email)? God is waiting for his beloved children to take time for a Father-child talk.

Since I left home (in the middle of the last century), I began a practice of calling my mother at least once a week. I am sure many of those calls were routine, but I hope they have been an expression of love between my dear mother and me. Why should our Heavenly Father merit less? How about a daily prayer, or two, or three? None is routine. He hears them all. And one does not need to be eloquent; God knows what is on our hearts even before we speak it. That does not exempt us from saying it, to the best of our abilities.

To this day, the most beautiful prayer I have ever heard was offered by a man I met in my first pastorate in Benoit, Mississippi. His wife attended church regularly, and he came once in a blue moon. He was known in the community as a “drinking man”. One day his wife called me, and said, “Brother Bill, my husband wants to see you.” I rushed over to their house and was delighted to learn this man wanted to accept Jesus as his Savior, and repent of his wayward life. I coached him on how to pray “the believer’s prayer”, using as many theological words as possible. (After all, this was serious business.) When it came time for him to pray, he couldn’t remember any of the “high falutin’” words I had used. With tears streaming down his face, his prayer consisted of three simple words, “God, save me!” That is the most beautiful prayer I have yet heard. I have a suspicion God liked it, too.

So, what are you waiting for? Call your Father.

No comments: