Grandparents, grandchildren


April 18, 2005

My brother Norman sent me the picture above. It’s a bit grainy, but wow, does it bring back memories. The four-room house in the background was my home from my birth to 1959 on Graball Hill in Yazoo City. (We moved in soon after Jed, Granny, Jethro and Ellie May moved out!) Don’t laugh. We had running water, because I ran it from the cistern (off the photo to the left of the lean-to garage) to the house. You can tell by the ’57 Chevy when this photo was taken.

I can easily pick out most of the people in this photo, sitting in the summer shade of our old front yard. My sister Marietta is in front. The three folks sitting in chairs are: (left to right) Norman, my father (leaning to his right) and my grandfather, Daddy Roberts.

Grandparents are a gift God gives to children. Mine were wonderful. Joan McIntosh said, “They say genes skip generations. Maybe that's why grandparents find their grandchildren so likeable.”

When Anita and I married in 1993, I got a second chance at being a grandfather; not an easy task for one who never had children of my own. I tell people I made up for lost time: getting married one year, performing my daughter’s wedding the next year, and becoming a grandfather the year after that!

Last week, Anita and I celebrated Deanna’s birthday in Simi Valley. We enthusiastically assumed our roles as Nanna and Paw Paw with Tak and Kat. Kat is learning her mother and father have real names. “What’s mother’s name?” we asked. “De-an-na Kaw-a-sa-ki”, Kat said, emphasizing each syllable. “What’s daddy’s name?” “Scot Ka-wa-sa-ki”. We then asked, “What’s Paw Paw’s name?” With a bit of prompting, Kat replied, “Wil-liam Jenk-ins Ka-wa-sa-ki.”

Mary H. Waldrip said, “Grandchildren are God's way of compensating us for growing old.” What a joy! I only hope I leave Tak and Kat with as many warm memories as Momma and Daddy Roberts left to me.

Sunday’s sermon reminded us of a loving heavenly and “grand” father, the Good Shepherd, who loves, protects, and cares for us. How wonderfully blessed we are!

No comments: