Highway One

(October 11, 2007)

Last weekend, I drove from Spring Valley to Monterey, California, a one-way distance of nearly 500 miles. Since Simi Valley is in the direct path, I enjoyed a stay-over Saturday night to see Deanna, Scot, Tak and Kat. I’ll make any excuse to see my 7-year old granddaughter, Kat, who loves to “tickle my feet” as much as I enjoy her doing so. She blesses my soul with her hugs, kisses, and the games we enjoy creating and reenacting each time we get together. She loves her Paw-Paw, and I dearly love her.

Knowing Christ Church’s pulpit was in good hands with the Rev. Perry Sproat preaching in my absence, I looked forward to the Pacific Coast drive as a time to “get away”, meditate and absorb some of the most breathtaking scenery in God’s creation. I was not disappointed.

I left Simi about 6:00 AM Sunday, and headed up Highway 1, otherwise known as the Pacific Coast Highway. Friends had encouraged me to make that trip at least once. Some say it is called “Highway One’, because if you travel it once, you will never do it again. It requires steady nerves for sure. It appeared at times rounding the hairpin curves that I was reading my own rear license plate.

The further northward I drove toward Big Sur, the more glorious God’s creation became apparent to me. To the left were the Pacific Ocean waves dashing ashore, and to the right were magnificent mountains along which the ever narrowing and winding road was precariously etched. Never has this old man worshipped in a more beautiful sanctuary.

After my meeting in Monterey, I took Highway 101 on my way home Tuesday. At least it is a four lane. The scenery is just a beautiful, but of a more subtle type. My soul and spirit have been blessed and my zeal renewed. I praise God for His wonderful creation, and thank God for allowing me to worship Him in the beauty of holiness.

Doxology!

P.S. The occasion for my trip was to attend the Municipal Information Systems Association of California (the organization for city and local government Information Technology departments). Otay Water District, where in my tri-vocational life I serve as I. T. Manager, was one of twelve city and local government IT departments to win MISAC’s highest award, “Excellence in IT Practices” for 2007. City of Beverly Hills’ IT Department also won the award, so we were in good company. Thank you for allowing me to be away to receive this award on behalf of my colleagues at Otay.

From the Quote Garden
“I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in.”
~ George Washington Carver

No comments: