The Sick, the Poor, and Our Praises

August 23, 2004

W. C. Fields said, “A rich man is just a poor man with money.” We are in the season of Lexionary scripture readings that focus on the downtrodden, particularly the sick and the poor. Repeatedly, Jesus was criticized for healing people on the Sabbath or offering a hand to the poor. How could his critics be so insensitive? We are challenged to look at our own attitude toward the sick and poor of our community. Sunday, a man with AIDS showed up just before worship. It would have been easy to rush him along, because I needed to prepare for worship. Something within me said, “Take your time.” We sat, and talked. I invited him to our service of healing.

God’s Word, the Bible, is ever new, offering fresh insights, no matter how many times we read it. That is why it is The Living Word. No other book is like it. One new insight emerged for me as I noticed how many times praise is associated with healing and ministry to the oppressed. Last Sunday, we saw the woman bent over with the burdens and affliction for eighteen years. Jesus commanded her to “Straighten Up and Praise God!” This week, we will look at the command to offer “A Sacrifice of Praise” in conjunction with Jesus’ healing of the man with dropsy.

Yesterday’s service was spiritually enriching. Early in the service, I felt God’s presence. By the time we reached the end of the service, when many of you came forward to be anointed with oil and receive God’s healing power, I saw many tears through my own. My new friend with AIDS and his wife came forward for anointing. I praise God for your humble spirit to receive, as the characters in our scripture lessons did, the blessings of God. Now let us be about praising Him for His loving acts of mercy, healing and grace.

No comments: