Institutional Morality is Personal Morality

June 7, 2004

Like the Apostle Paul, I see myself as “chief among sinners”. Therefore, I rarely get on the morality soapbox. This past week, I considered the decline in morality and ethics in almost every institution of our society. The horrible prison photos in Iraq, the financial corruption at Enron and Worldcom, the stories of clergy abusing children, and countless other headlines present us with a new low in “institutional morality”. But there is no such thing as institutional morality; it all comes down to personal morality. Institutional corruption begins with individuals whose moral compass is broken. It is true that institutions provide avenues to magnify corruption. But institutions do not make decisions for good or evil, people do.

People need a moral compass today more than ever. The church is the best place I know to provide direction and support in moral, ethical and spiritual matters. I became hopeful when I learned the message is finally getting through at, of all places Harvard University. Their Business School has re-instituted a course in the Master of Business Administration curriculum: Ethics.

No comments: